Moderator note: Autoresponder emails to posts to the list
Susan Bradley
2014-10-22 04:45:23 UTC
Apologies for the autoresponder email that posters have been getting lately.

It is done from a subscriber to the list and I've asked him to turn it off.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work through
getting it adjusted.
--
Susan Bradley
http://blogs.msmvps.com/bradley
Jason Miller
2014-10-22 06:17:39 UTC
Susan is the nice moderator on this list, the brains of the operation. I am
the not so nice moderator of this list, the brawn of the operation. After
reviewing the circumstances of the user who decided to auto-reply (and this
response by this person to users on this list on why he chooses to
auto-reply), this user is banned from the list. We the moderators of the
list apologize for the spam sent by this user. If you ever receive
auto-reply spam from any user, please contact the moderators of this is at
owner-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org . Auto-responders are not OK on
this list at any time. Please do not sign up to the list with auto
responding accounts. The moderators will reach out the accounts that are
conducting this action and work with them to resolve the issue.

Users of this list feel at times that auto-responders with personal accounts
and shared accounts are ok. He is why is it not ok:
1) The folks that provide us with the invaluable content of this list get
auto-reply spam emails. Shavlik nor the moderators supply the content of
this list. It is up to the patching community to help the rest of us.
Content providers do not deserve SPAM.
2) There is a lot of maintenance that goes along with the list that you
cannot see. The moderators help out users that are having issues with this
list need to review email logs. Due to the massive amount of users and
emails sent from this list, our log files become unusable with auto-replies.

We are here to help everyone with patch management. And, we want to
accommodate everyone's needs. Auto-responders are a no-no.

If your account(s) have auto-replies that are mandated:
1) Sign up with a different account. There are a lot of free email
accounts you can use: Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc
2) Set up a rule with your email program. They all have it. All messages
will be received from Patch Management Mailing List
<patchmanagement-JX7+OpRa80QrCTP/***@public.gmane.org> . The subject line will
start with and contain [patchmanagement]. If you need help setting up rules
on how to filter emails from this list please contact us, we will gladly
show you how to do this with every email program. You can turn off and on
auto-replies with rules.

- Jason

2014-10-22 08:36:37 UTC
Thanks for the info Jason, I do get the odd auto response from the list but as all my non-safe sender email goes into my Junk Mail it's easy to manage.

One question, I assume Out of Office replies are except to this?

Julian Harper
IT Manager
Laytons Wine Services Ltd

[...]

2) Set up a rule with your email program. They all have it. All messages will be received from Patch Management Mailing List <***@listserv.patchmanagement.org> . The subject line will start with and contain [patchmanagement]. If you need help setting up rules on how to filter emails from this list please contact us, we will gladly show you how to do this with every email program. You can turn off and on auto-replies with rules.

- Jason

Spakowski,Tim
2014-10-22 13:59:08 UTC
I really appreciate all the hard work you do for the community.

Thank you!

If you are not the intended recipient of this message (including attachments), or if you have received this message in error, immediately notify us and delete it and any attachments.

For important additional information related to this email, visit www.edwardjones.com/US_email_disclosure. Edward
D. Jones & Co., L.P. d/b/a Edward Jones, 12555 Manchester Road, St. Louis, MO 63131 © Edward Jones. All rights reserved.

Apologies for the autoresponder email that posters have been getting lately.

It is done from a subscriber to the list and I've asked him to turn it off.

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we work through getting it adjusted.
--
Susan Bradley
http://blogs.msmvps.com/bradley

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators. If you would like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication, please contact the owners of the list for approval.

leave-***@patchmanagement.org

---

owner-patchmanagement@
Jason Miller
2014-10-22 19:35:11 UTC
Out of office responses are fine. In the past year, we have had a rash of
members sending out automatic replies to both the mailing list address as
well as the member sending in the content. (ex: a member adding an
organization's support email address that sends out a confirmation that a
ticket has been created for each email sent to the list).

Turner, Glenn
2014-10-22 22:12:48 UTC
Out of Office replies in Outlook can be configured to be sent to only people in your organization if that suits your needs. That's what I do in my internal-facing support role. If I'm dealing with something external, I'll email that person to give them a heads-up.

Glenn