Update adds search box to new tab pages in Internet Explorer 11:
Susan Bradley
2014-10-21 16:08:00 UTC
Update adds search box to new tab pages in Internet Explorer 11:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3009037
This article describes the feature enhancements that are provided in
this update for Internet Explorer 11. After you install this update, the
following feature is added:

When you open a new tab page in Internet Explorer 11, the page
includes a search box. This new feature has the same search
functionality as the address bar and is intended to help you complete
searches more quickly.

Notes
This feature is added only if your default search provider
supports it. If your default search provider does not support this
feature, you can try to update your search provider configuration by
visiting the following Internet Explorer website:

Internet Explorer Gallery
(http://www.iegallery.com/)
This feature is enabled only if the search functionality of the
address bar is also enabled.

Back to the topBack to the top | Give Feedback
Collapse imageUpdate information
To enable this update, install the most recent cumulative security
update for Internet Explorer. To do this, go to Microsoft Update
(http://update.microsoft.com)
. Additionally, see the technical information about the most recent
cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
--
Susan Bradley
http://blogs.msmvps.com/bradley
Hank Arnold
2014-10-22 09:40:47 UTC
Why do I want another search box??? The address bar does everything I
need.is this the same thing that AskVG talked about for Bing? I have Google
as the default search engine and I don't see this new search box.

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/how-to-suppress-the-bing-s
earch-box-from-ie11-63263

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Consumer Security

“There are 10 kinds of people in the world...
Those who understand binary and those who don't.”

My Blog: http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/
Twitter: @Hank_PCDoc
[...]

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators. If
you would like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication,
please contact the owners of the list for approval.

leave-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org
If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org
Julian Harper
2014-10-22 14:02:24 UTC
It's something Chrome and Firefox have had for a very long time and I guess Microsoft are replicating it, but I agree with you the address bar does everything and Firefox is still the only major browser to have a dedicated search box on the toolbar.

That said have you actually watched how most people use browsers?

- If they want to search they click on the address bar and type in google and then search
- Almost everyone I've seen still types in www before an address (on the rare occasions they manually type in an address)
- Quite a few still insist on having to type in http://
- Most don't Bookmark/Favourite a site and instead use Google as a bookmark machine
- I have to admit I do this for some sites...

While browsers have changed a lot most people's behaviour hasn't, and they don't notice, or take notice, of changes made to the UI.

I don't see the big deal over this though, so you have another search box? (which you can ignore or use) I don't see why you have to disable it.

Julian Harper
IT Manager
Laytons Wine Services Ltd

[...]

. Additionally, see the technical information about the most recent cumulative security update for Internet Explorer