Two Factor Auth Coming to Windows 10 + Other Things
Julian Harper
2014-10-22 15:32:34 UTC
No source or link is in the article but it aligns with some other things that have been coming out about Windows 10.

My fear is most people will struggle with the two factor authentication, while the other things, sandboxing each file and controlled code signing systems will most likely break a lot of backward compatibility, meaning most managed systems will turn these features off.

Encrypting file systems by default seems to be dangerous to me, how can that be managed centrally if everyone's files are encrypted, especially if it's on a central file server?

Still it's early days but I'm sure it'll be stuff like this that's going to be the most contentious.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/22/microsoft_promises_windows_10_will_mean_twofactor_for_all/

"Windows doesn't have the best reputation for security, but Microsoft has been outlining a series of improvements in the new operating system that it believes will stymie hackers and leave corporate data more secure.

"We're no longer facing an evolution in security threats but a revolution," Chris Hallum, senior product manager for Windows told The Register. "The reality is that the systems currently in place don't offer the fundamental immunity we need to deal with such threats."

Hallum outlined three key technologies Microsoft will be building into Windows 10 that will be used to add protection. More will be added before the operating system ships next year but these are the teasers that Microsoft's sure will be included..."

Julian Harper
IT Manager
Laytons Wine Services Ltd

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators. If you would like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication, please contact the owners of the list for approval.

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org
Rod Trent
2014-10-22 17:35:20 UTC
Two factor is a standard across all platforms. If users have an iPhone,
Android, or Windows Phone, they've used it to setup their device.