Poodle actions to take for windows users.
Susan Bradley
2014-10-15 16:19:56 UTC
Poodle actions to take for windows users.

(and who comes up with these names?)

Add-on to disable SSLv3 in Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ssl-version-control/

The next release of Firefox in late November will have SSLv3 disabled
and you can remove this add-on at that time.

=========
In IE untick the SSLv3 box

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/522189921579057153?s=09

===============

Haven't heard of needed actions for Chrome?
Kennedy, Jim
2014-10-15 16:50:13 UTC
Google says a fix in the next 'few months' for Chrome. IE can be fixed via GPO...bottom of this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/3009008.aspx

Poodle actions to take for windows users.

(and who comes up with these names?)

Add-on to disable SSLv3 in Firefox.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ssl-version-control/

The next release of Firefox in late November will have SSLv3 disabled and you can remove this add-on at that time.

=========
In IE untick the SSLv3 box

https://twitter.com/ericlaw/status/522189921579057153?s=09

===============

Haven't heard of needed actions for Chrome?

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators. If you would like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication, please contact the owners of the list for approval.

Kennedy, Jim
2014-10-15 17:04:45 UTC
Found something more from one of the folks that found this vulnerability. He is far more optimistic that Chrome will be patched in the next few weeks. Also add this to the command line for Chrome for now.

--ssl-version-min=tls1

https://www.imperialviolet.org/2014/10/14/poodle.html

In Firefox you can go into about:config and set security.tls.version.min to 1. I expect that other browser vendors will publish similar instructions over the coming days.

Ben Ten
2014-10-15 17:15:01 UTC
There was also a powershell script that was released to disable sslv3.

http://www.labofapenetrationtester.com/2014/10/poodle-workaround-on-windows-using-powershell.html

Ben Ten

On 10/15/2014 at 11:50 AM, *Jim Kennedy* wrote,

[...]

leave-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org
If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org

---

Kennedy, Jim
2014-10-15 17:28:47 UTC
Nice, and welcome Ben. Good to see you here. Please don't tell Susan I accidently said she works for lawyers in my Derbycon talk. She will get me for that I suspect. I had the wrong state too, dunno how that popped into my head.

Austin Macdade
2014-10-15 19:06:14 UTC
I just grabbed the latest chrome.admx from Google hoping that they'd've put the option in to disable SSL v3.0, but I don't see it there. Do you know of any way to enable this flag across an organization besides "writing a script to modify all the chrome shortcuts"? I don't see it listed in either chrome://policy or chrome://flags

Austin Macdade
2014-10-17 14:50:40 UTC
The latest stable version of Chrome/Chromium is 38, but in version 39, there's support for a SSLVersionMin policy.

http://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-list-3#SSLVersionMin

Minimum SSL version enabled
Data type:
String (REG_SZ)
Windows registry location:
Software\Policies\Chromium\SSLVersionMin
Mac/Linux preference name:
SSLVersionMin
Supported on:
Chromium (Linux, Mac, Windows) since version 39
Chromium OS (Chromium OS) since version 39
Chromium (Android) since version 39
Chromium (iOS) since version 39
Supported features:
Dynamic Policy Refresh: Yes, Per Profile: No
If this policy is not configured then Chromium will use a
default minimum version, which is SSLv3 in Chrome 39 but may
be TLS 1.0 in Chrome 40. Otherwise it may be set to one of the
following values: "sslv3", "tls1", "tls1.1" or "tls1.2". When
set, Chromium will not use SSL/TLS versions less than the
specified version. An unrecognized value will be ignored. Note
that, despite the number, "sslv3" is an earier version than
"tls1".
"ssl3" = SSL 3.0
"tls1" = TLS 1.0
"tls1.1" = TLS 1.1
"tls1.2" = TLS 1.2
Example value:
"ssl3"

Vreman, Peter
2014-10-17 14:43:49 UTC
That why (as en enterprice admin) Like IE and don't like Chrome.
Chrome is a good browser, but NOT an enterprice product.

[...]

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Tata Steel Europe Limited nor any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities within the Tata Steel Europe group of companies, please visit http://www.tatasteeleurope.com/entities

Julian Harper
2014-10-17 15:47:45 UTC
I beg to differ, it's not as flexible, but the options you have is more than enough for most things.

Also based on some reports I've read this new SSL 3 bug isn't exactly trivial to exploit.

Julian Harper
IT Manager
Laytons Wine Services Ltd

Wical, Bart
2014-10-17 17:59:57 UTC
There are Chrome GPOs we use them

McWilliams, George
2014-10-17 18:25:17 UTC
+1 for the Chrome GPOs!

The Chromium Projects:
http://www.chromium.org/administrators/policy-templates

Deploy Google Chrome (for Business/Enterprise) via GPO:
http://www.itninja.com/blog/view/deploy-google-chrome-via-gpo

Configuring Google Chrome via Group Policy:
http://jackstromberg.com/2013/08/configuring-google-chrome-via-group-policy/

Austin Macdade
2014-10-17 18:42:51 UTC
The chrome GPOs do not currently support disabling SSLv3. You'll have to get a new chrome.admx file when it does, *which* should available be when Chrome 39 goes stable, but I'm not sure, since I'm not part of that discussion right now. As this change was only published 4 hours ago as of this writing, I can't even speculate about when the feature will be available.

Cain, Steven
2014-10-15 17:07:43 UTC
There's a command in this SANS blog for disabling SSLv3 in Google Chrome. https://isc.sans.edu/diary/POODLE%3A+Turning+off+SSLv3+for+various+servers+and+client.++/18837