Office 365 ProPlus controller patching
Freddy Grande
2014-10-22 07:17:24 UTC
Hello,
I'm planning the following for our Office 365 ProPlus deployment/patching:

1. Run the setup.exe and update our source files on the 16th of each month through a Scheduled Task (to ensure it's always after Patch Tuesday)

2. Point a test/IT group to update from this source through GPO

3. Copy the above source files to a separate 'stable' repository through a scheduled task

4. Point everyone else to this repository
The idea being that should there be any issues we can simply disable the 'copy' task and the issue won't be widespread.

How is everyone else handling Office 365 patches?
If this is the preferred way to do it, did you use scheduled tasks too?

<sort of off topic but hoping someone might help>
I've run into an issue where the domain account with modify access to the repositories is hanging when running the first scheduled task. I think this is because running the setup.exe is causing a UAC prompt and I'm not sure how to bypass this. I've tried with and without the "Run with highest privileges" box checked but this hasn't helped. Ideas?
</off topic>

Freddy

________________________________
NOTICE: This email is confidential. If you are not the nominated recipient, please immediately delete this email, destroy all copies and inform the sender. Australian Maritime Systems Ltd (AMS) prohibits the unauthorised copying or distribution of this email. This email does not necessarily express the views of AMS. AMS does not warrant nor guarantee that this email communication is free from errors, virus, interception or interference.

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators. If you would like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication, please contact the owners of the list for approval.

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org
Julian Harper
2014-10-22 13:47:03 UTC
(Possibly) Silly question, you can't just install the updates that are available on Microsoft Update each month? That's what we do.

Or is this another case of a different version of Office 2013?

Julian Harper
IT Manager
Laytons Wine Services Ltd
7-9 Elliott's Place
London, N1 8HX

Incorporating Jeroboams, Laytons & Milroy's of Soho

Susan Bradley
2014-10-22 15:48:54 UTC
365 = Click to run

Susan Bradley
http://blogs.msmvps.com/bradley
(Possibly) Silly question, you can’t just install the updates that are
available on Microsoft Update each month? That’s what we do.
Or is this another case of a different version of Office 2013?
*Julian Harper
IT Manager
Laytons Wine Services Ltd
7-9 Elliott’s Place
London, N1 8HX
*
Incorporating Jeroboams, Laytons & Milroy’s of Soho
Freddy Grande
2014-10-22 22:44:00 UTC
As Susan replied a little later on, Office 365 is installed through the Click to Run (C2R) deployment method.
This doesn't use WSUS at all. Every month a new Office build is released and the update process downloads the changes and updates the local build.
By default Office 365 tries to update from Microsoft's servers, obviously this could cause network issues when all clients try to update on the same day so, like WSUS, you can point them to a local repository through the install process or GPO/ADMX.

On the one hand, there are less combinations of patches so in theory it should be easier to troubleshoot and minimise patching incompatibilities.
On the other hand, it's a whole new wheel with no real centralised management (that I know of) unlike Windows Updates and WSUS (and SCCM).

Freddy