Java prompting to update, despite installing AutoUpdateOff versionturning off Update reg keys
Turner, Glenn
2014-10-15 01:01:04 UTC
Until Oracle released the new version this morning, we were running with the latest Java 7 Runtime Environment security baseline (Update 65).

Our users are now complaining that they are getting a prompt to upgrade Java. Unbelieveable! Anyone else seeing this?

This is what we download from Oracle Support (replace 72 with 65 for last quarter's update):

Reg keys set as follows:

Did someone screw up last quarter's AutoUpdate Off version? Not sure how we can even test this for this quarter until they release a new security baseline.

Any ideas?

---
PatchManagement.org is hosted by Shavlik

The content on the email list is intended for assisting administrators. If you would like to use any of this content in a blog or media publication, please contact the owners of the list for approval.

If you are unable to unsubscribe via this email address, please email
owner-patchmanagement-Vbinuuz+i/1cyoYjzPa5A0B+***@public.gmane.org
Austin Macdade
2014-10-15 01:29:48 UTC
That's why I uninstall the java updater after it installs. You should check for the uninstall string in your registry with each new version, but I've been able to remove it with 'msiexec.exe /x {4a03706f-666a-4037-7777-5f2748764d10} /qn /norestart' for the past several versions.

Until Oracle released the new version this morning, we were running with the latest Java 7 Runtime Environment security baseline (Update 65).

Our users are now complaining that they are getting a prompt to upgrade Java. Unbelieveable! Anyone else seeing this?

This is what we download from Oracle Support (replace 72 with 65 for last quarter's update):

[cid:image001.jpg-De5yxKnaAQ8N0Ente3/***@public.gmane.org]

Reg keys set as follows:

[cid:image002.jpg-De5yxKnaAQ8N0Ente3/***@public.gmane.org]

Turner, Glenn
2014-10-15 06:20:47 UTC
This GUID isn't installed on my systems. The fact that this is prompting and I can't turn it off is deeply concerning.

Another issue is that even though we have access to Java with AutoUpdate Off via our support contract, there doesn't seem to be anywhere we can turn to for official technical support for this. It's all web-based user-to-user help.

Glenn

That's why I uninstall the java updater after it installs. You should check for the uninstall string in your registry with each new version, but I've been able to remove it with 'msiexec.exe /x {4a03706f-666a-4037-7777-5f2748764d10} /qn /norestart' for the past several versions.

Until Oracle released the new version this morning, we were running with the latest Java 7 Runtime Environment security baseline (Update 65).

Our users are now complaining that they are getting a prompt to upgrade Java. Unbelieveable! Anyone else seeing this?

This is what we download from Oracle Support (replace 72 with 65 for last quarter's update):

[cid:image001.jpg-***@public.gmane.org]

Reg keys set as follows:

[cid:image002.jpg-***@public.gmane.org]

Mike Cramer
2014-10-15 12:23:14 UTC
For my java deployments I've created a customized MST that disables Auto
Update.

Any ideas?
Butler, Pat
2014-10-15 14:30:55 UTC
If you are rolling out Java version 7 you need to edit the deployment.properties file located in C:\Windows\Sun\Java\Deployment and add the line deployment.expiration.check.enabled=false. During our testing, even with Auto Update disabled users still got a notification that the installed version of Java was out of date.

F***@public.gmane.org
2014-10-15 14:16:47 UTC
Can you please share that MST?

Regards,
Syed Fahad Ali
Deputy Systems Officer | Information Technology
Pakistan Petroleum Limited,
[...]

________________________________

Disclaimer:

The email contains confidential information intended only for the addressee. Any unintended recipient of this email should delete it without copying, distributing or disseminating its contents. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of email transmission. The user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and the use of this email. The company shall in no way be liable for any damages, whatever their nature, arising out of transmission failures, viruses, external influence, delays and the like.

---

Rick McClure
2014-10-15 14:33:22 UTC
Glen makes a good point. Where is the 'list' of all the options for
manipulating Java....or Flash and Adobe products as well?

What I've done in the past is rename the java folder under program files
(x86)\common files but there should be an easier way to it.

It is ESPECIALLY ANNOYING that some users will install this and also the
optional Ask or Google toolbar and search defaults. So who is who's
friend, huh?

Rick.

Rixton, Gareth
2014-10-15 16:45:02 UTC
If it helps indirectly, here's a PowerShell .ps1 with a .txt extension that
I made for installing 7u67. It's a front-loaded "Nuclear" install script I
use with SCCM that creates all the Java GUIDs known to man, removes
Auto-Updater, etc etc. It works fairly well in messy, yet to be
standardized environments. One could grab the .MSI and .CAB, then place
and execute this .ps1 script in/from the same folder to try it out manually.

Enjoy!

Gareth
*Sent:* Wednesday, October 15, 2014 7:23 AM
*To:* Patch Management Mailing List

Kennedy, Jim

[...]

[cid:image001.jpg-2jDtJ8u3xH/***@public.gmane.org]

Reg keys set as follows:

[cid:image002.jpg-2jDtJ8u3xH/***@public.gmane.org]

Turner, Glenn
2014-10-15 21:58:26 UTC
Don't forget that there is the new setting in the Java control panel to suppress "offers".

Austin Macdade
2014-10-17 15:27:03 UTC
Is this for both JRE 7 and JRE 8?
I'm wondering because for the command line installation documentation for the latest JRE 7, there's a listed flag [SPONSORS=0]:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/install/windows/jre-installer-options.html
But for JRE 8, I don't see a sponsors installation option in the documentation:
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/install/config.html

Turner, Glenn
2014-10-19 21:38:21 UTC
Not sure about 8.

With respect to the expiring versions prompt, we found that instead of putting a file in to c:\windows\sun\... referencing deployment.properties in the user's profile, we can just copy deployment.properties to C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\lib, and that has the same effect.

[...]

[cid:image001.jpg-0ZFmVdWuYbyO/n7cfS6+***@public.gmane.org]

Reg keys set as follows:

[cid:image002.jpg-0ZFmVdWuYbyO/n7cfS6+***@public.gmane.org]

MICHAEL MEI
2014-10-15 14:00:44 UTC
For me, I create my own java package. The one on the patch server is limited to custom install. If you run the exe installer, this is the command to disable the autoupdate

jre-7u72-windowsxx.exe /s /v/qn IEXPLORER=1 REBOOT=Suppress JAVAUPDATE=0 WEBSTARTICON=0

The command line works the same for 32bit. If you install java from the msi, you need to go the registry and add the enablejavaupdate. The registry must be in HKLM

HKLM\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Update\Policy\
EnableJavaUpdate
Reg_Dword
Value=0

Also, I notice it on windows 7 64bit when you run the exe installer, it added a schedule task to run. You want to check and delete that task. Should be the same on a 32 bit.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SunJavaUpdateSched

[...]

[cid:image001.jpg-J0wIT5iD++3wXiVt/***@public.gmane.org]

Reg keys set as follows:

[cid:image002.jpg-J0wIT5iD++3wXiVt/***@public.gmane.org]